This article features information about the electoral system prevailing in India and instrumental information regarding how to vote in India, register to vote, and vote online in India.
India has a federal structure; it has three-tier system. India is known to be one of the biggest democracies in the world. We all know that the concept of democracy as visualized by the Constitution presupposes the representation of the people in Parliament, state legislature and local bodies by-election.
The electoral process in a democratic structure has to play a vital role to sustain the true spirit of democracy to lead the citizen to entertain their political rights with self-respect and dignity without being discriminated on the basis of gender, religion, caste, colour, or creed.
In India electoral process has to be undergone under the supervision and guidance of the Indian Election Commission, as per the direction derived from the Constitution. The Indian election commission is a constitutional authority that has to assign a duty to operate, govern and manage the mechanism of the electoral process by which people can choose their representatives at regular intervals and change them whenever they want to; it is called an election.
It is always a proud moment for a citizen of a democratic nation to share Voter’s responsibility without any discrimination and get an opportunity to execute a political right to choose or appoint a representative who will make laws for them. A voter can choose to appoint a representative who will form the government and take significant decisions.
Every youth in India is eagerly waiting for a moment to become an eligible voter to perform a reasonable and sensible responsibility towards the nation with liberty, equality and fraternity to retain a true spirit of democracy.
Eligible requirements- How to vote #india | How to register to vote | How to vote online in India
As a country resident, you must follow specific requirements to qualify for Voter’s registration.
- A person required to be 18 years old or older than 18 years can vie for Voter’s registration.
- You are not required to submit any proof related to caste, religion, gender, or creed for the voter registration.
- As per Indian Constitution, a citizen of India is not defying to execute their political right on the basis of caste, creed, gender and religion.
Voting is generally optional in India, but certain moves make voting compulsory.
As for the voter registration – How to vote #india | How to register to vote | How to vote online in India
You can vote in India only if you are a country citizen. You should not possess citizenship of any other country, and you have to declare the area of your residence in India.
- Suppose you are going outside of India because of employment, education, or other reasons. You can still register to cast your vote in India if your residence is mentioned in the passport.
- If you are not a citizen of India, you cannot vote in India. If you are overseas, you can vote only if you are a citizen of India.
Reasons for disqualification to register as a voter – How to vote #india | How to register to vote | How to vote online in India.
.The resident of India is not allowed to vote if the applicant has been declared of unsound mind or disqualified due to corrupt practice.
- To be banned from voting for an unsound mind, a person must have been declared such by the competent court.
- People are also disqualified if they have been convicted of election-related offences. Such people cannot register to vote in India.
Registration to vote in India – How to vote #india I How to register to vote I How to vote online in India
Submission of Form-6
- Every Voter who wants to cast a vote in India has to register themselves while filling a form-6 to submit to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) of the Assembly constituency.
- One can also submit their online Voter’s registeration form-6 at www.eci.nic.in. You can also download the election form in Hindi or English.
Upload passport size color photo
- An applicant is required to submit proof related to their age and residence.
- If you cannot upload your document, a booth level officer (BLO) will collect your documents from your house.
- You can also submit your documents via a post to the voter centre of your constituency. For this, first of all, you have to download the form-6 from the www.eci.nic.in and fill it.
Submission of form-6A
- If you are an overseas citizen of India, you can cast your vote, but you need to submit form 6A.
- You have to submit this form to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) of the constituency you usually live in India and should match the location given on your passport. This process stands for Non-Resident Indians.
NRI’s can get this form 6A from the www.eci.nic.in. You are required to enclose a passport size photo along with the photocopy of your passport containing a valid visa.
The casting of Vote – How to vote #india | How to register to vote | How to vote online in India
.You can also find your polling station while accessing the www.eci.nic.in to click on the polling station.
- You can also click on the pin on the map to view the names and contact numbers of CEOS, DEOS, EROS, and BLOS.
- You will also receive a link to view the electoral roll in PDF format.
One can have to go to cast a vote in the polling place.
- You have to be in a queue, must wait patiently for your turn to come.
- State your name and father’s name to confirm your identity by the official that you are the registered Voter.
- They will mark your finger with indelible ink to ensure that you cannot misuse the right to cast a vote.
- Press the symbol of the candidate. If you are casting a vote in a manual system, you need to stamp the correct symbol on the ballot paper and put it in a box.
- If you vote through EVM, be sure the machine is not beeping. This can happen due to an error.
Rectification of mistakes in your voter registration
Submission of Form-8
One can correct age, name, and address mistakes in voters registration rolls.
- To rectify any error, you need to file a Form-8 can get it from www.eci.nic.in and apply for the desirable correction while providing or enclosing relevant documents.
- There is no need to pay the fees for correction if it is not done on your part.
- If you have changed your address within the constituency, file a form 8A online or download form-8A.
How to check your name on the Voter’s list
You can check your name on the Voter’s list at www.eci.nic.in.
- You have to select the name of your state and follow the procedure to search electors.
- The ERO will notify overseas voters by mail to include their names on the Voter’s list.
How to be a responsible voter
- In case if you find that someone else has voted in your name, then make a formal complaint to the election commission office.
- Going to the counters of the political parties on the day of voting doesn’t mean that you are obliged to vote for them.
- It is your right to evaluate the candidate as per your choice.
Leave a Reply